Please read in full as this information may very well affect your products.
AS THE PERSON RESPONSIBLE FOR PUTTING YOUR FINAL PRODUCTS ON THE MARKET FOR SALE TO THE PUBLIC, IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO READ THIS INFORMATION, TO RESEARCH IT IF REQUIRED AND ACT UPON IT TO ENSURE YOUR PRODUCTS REMAIN SAFE AND COMPLIANT.
The International Fragrance Association (IFRA) is the organisation that represents the collective interests of the fragrance industry and promotes the safe use of fragrances around the world. The ‘IFRA’ document that you will find for every fragrance oil we sell can be found in our online Google Drive. The ‘IFRA’ document tells you the safe percentage you can use of any oil, in every single application it can be used in, and you must always refer to this document whenever you make a product, to ensure your products are safe to be placed on the market.
You can access the IFRA website at the website below for further reading and research, visit website
Every so often, with new developments, IFRA will update their guidance. IFRA’s most recent update is known as the ‘49th Amendment’. This amendment has seen new product categories formed and changes in some of the safe percentages you can use in various products.
We are currently amending and uploading around 160 new IFRA documents to our Google Drive and this will be finalised as soon as possible, but definitely before 10th May 2021.
So that you can identify the new IFRA documents on the Google Drive, they are labelled as follows:
‘[FRAGRANCE NAME] – IFRA 48 and 49 Certificate with Cosmetic Limits (FO)’.
In the meantime, we have created a spreadsheet that has four worksheets in it. These worksheets are for:
- IFRA 49 maximum dosages
- IFRA 49 product category definitions
- IFRA 48 maximum dosages
- IFRA 48 product class definitions
This spreadsheet is the fastest way for you to check the safe percentages in both the 48th and 49th Amendments for our oils. If the 49th Amendment percentage for your product is lower than the 48th Amendment, then you MUST take action by the deadlines below to make sure your product remains safe and legal.
Please view our spreadsheet on a computer or suitably sized device using software capable of displaying multiple Excel worksheets.
The deadlines for entry in force with regards to the Implementation of the 49th Amendment to the IFRA Guidelines are as follows:-
- 10th May, 2021: Entry into force for new formulations
- 10th May, 2022: Compliance of existing formulations created before 10th May 2021
This means that to ensure your products remain compliant:
- If you create a new product and place it on the market from 10th May 2021 you must use the IFRA 49th Amendment guidelines
- If you already have products on the market that were created using the 48th Amendment guidelines, then you must check your products against the 49th Amendment limits. If the limits are lower on the 49th Amendment, then you must recreate your products using the 49th Amendment guidelines before 10th May 2022. Any products you have in stock made using the 48th Amendment limits must be removed from the market and not sold after 9th May 2022
- If you create a new product and place it on the market before 10th May 2021 you can use the IFRA 48th or 49th Amendment guidelines. However, if you use the 48th Amendment guidelines and the limits are lower on the 49th Amendment, then you must recreate your products using the 49th Amendment guidelines before 10th May 2022. Any products you have in stock made using the 48th Amendment limits must be removed from the market and not sold after 9th May 2022
If any of your products require any additional assessments, such as bath and body products, please seek advice from your Assessor as to whether the 49th Amendment will affect your Cosmetic Assessments if required.
Most of our customers use our oils for the products listed below, so we have noted the existing and new product categories (sometimes referred to as classes) below as a quick reference for you, however you still need to check the spreadsheet for the safe percentages for each category.
IFRA 48th Amendment
Perfume & Cologne – Category 4a & 4b
Bath Bombs, Soaps & Shower Whips – Category 9a
Room & Linen Sprays – Category 9c
Candles & Melts, Reed Diffusers & Carpet Freshener Powders – Category 11
IFRA 49th Amendment
Perfume & Cologne – Category 4
Bath Bombs, Soaps & Shower Whips – Category 9
Reed Diffusers – Category 10a
Room & Linen Sprays – Category 10b
Candles & Melts and Carpet Freshener Powders – Category 12
Please note that the following oils are not on this spreadsheet, but we will update the information for these oils when it is made available to us by the manufacturer.
BLACK CHERRY MERLOT
DIAMOND & LOTUS LAUNDRY
INTENSE OCEAN PEARL
LAVENDER & COCONUT MILK
PURE WHITE LAUNDRY
SPRING AWAKENING LAUNDRY
SUMMER BREEZE LAUNDRY